During her childhood Ros was surrounded by classical literature, music and art. She picked up the brush at an early age secretly completing her father’s watercolours. She studied interior design but was eventually lured to ballet, progressing from dancer to instructor. She retained her love of art as a hobby, filling her family home with sketches, watercolours and oils. She moved from Malaysia to Singapore in 1986 and then to Perth in 2000.
Ros spent 3 years honing her craft in oils and portraiture studying with Lee Baily, a well-known North Perth artist. She has also studied life drawing with Ian De Souza, pastels with Brian Simmons and Chinese art with Ray Bian.
In 2009 Ros won first prize in the Waterworks exhibition and collaborated in a major exhibition with Judy Rogers at The Blender Gallery in Joondalup. Her works can be found at art exhibitions and competitions around Perth and in private collections in Canada, the United Kingdom and Western Australia.
About My Work
“For me, painting is a form of meditation. It feeds my soul. When I put brush to canvas I am absorbed by the moment and the outside world disappears. Walking through the bush provides inspiration, ripples in a pond, a feather hovering delicately on the surface, the sound of twigs cracking underfoot, exotic textures of tree bark. I am fascinated as light bends through a water-filled flask, reflects on a leafy canopy or casts curious shadows on a lily pad. Origami figurines are surreal observers, sentinels of my future, glimpsing into my mind’s eye.”
Awards and Exhibitions
- 2004 Exhibition: Andrianna Treasure and Friends – Fremantle
- 2004 -2006 Works exhibited and represented by Dwellingup Gallery
- 2006 Exhibition: 5 by 10 – The Blender Gallery
- 2007 Exhibition: Rona Chadwick and Friends – DOC Gallery
- 2008 First Prize for Still Life – Hyde Park Art Exhibition
- 2009 First Prize for Aqua – Waterworks Exhibition
- 2009 Beneath the Surface – Collaborative exhibition with Judy Rogers at The Blender Gallery
- 2009 Finalist: Emerging Artist Awards – City of South Perth
- 2010 Exhibitions: Arthritis Foundation Exhibition, Churchlands SHS Art Show, JCCA Community Art Exhibition, Wanneroo Art Exhibition, Members shows at The Blender Gallery
- 2011 City of Wanneroo Art Awards, Mosman Park Art Awards, Arthritis Foundation Art Exhibition, Churchlands SHS Art Show
- 2011 Solo Exhibition: ‘Silent Witness’ at The Blender Gallery